September 9, 2015 12:59 pm | by Stefan Novakovic | 3 Comments

On September 8th, Heritage Toronto announced a record-breaking sixteen nominees for the William Greer Architectural Conservation and Crafstmanship category of the 41st Annual Heritage Toronto Awards. The nominated projects cover a wide range of restoration methods, time periods, and architectural styles. Varying significantly in scope, the projects evidence a strong commitment to preserve and restore a diverse collection of architectural heritage throughout the city.

According to Heritage Toronto, the Conservation and Craftsmanship Awards honour projects which “restore or adapt buildings or structures that have been in existence for 40 years or more, or are included on the City of Toronto’s Inventory of Heritage Properties.” In addition to assessing the quality of preservation and restoration of heritage components, the awards also take into consideration how well the new spaces are adapted for contemporary use, and the ways in which the restored elements now fit into the urban contexts around them.

This full list of nominees is interspersed with photos of some of the projects. Those pictured which chosen as they represent a range of project types, and do not indicate any favouring of them on our part, nor do we have an inside track on which projects are likely to be winners.

60 Atlantic Avenue, 60 Atlantic Avenue


Commissioned by: Hullmark Developments Ltd.; Architectural/Design Firms: Quadrangle Architects Ltd.; Philip Goldsmith Architect; Craftspersons/Contractors: Read Jones Christoffersen Ltd.; First Gulf


The transformation of this 1890s industrial warehouse rehabilitated the existing building, maintaining heritage features such as brick walls, beams and the original street entrance.  The interior was retrofitted, and the size and functionality of the site increased with a corten steel and glass addition.


Apartment Building, 100 Spadina Road


Commissioned by: Park Property Management Inc.; Architectural/Design Firm: ERA Architects Inc.; Craftspersons/Contractors: Ontech Building Consultants Inc.; Brook Restoration

The aim of this project was to restore the exterior appearance of this 1969 heritage-designated building designed by Modernist architect Uno Prii. The project included repairing the structural integrity of the balconies, replacing balcony railings, and repainting the exterior.

100 Spadina, Toronto, Uno Prii‘Before’ shot of 100 Spadina, image courtesy of Heritage Toronto

100 Spadina, Toronto, Uno Prii‘After’ shot of 100 Spadina, image courtesy of Heritage Toronto

The Aperture Room, Thornton-Smith Building, 340 Yonge Street


Commissioned by: Toronto Camera Centres Ltd.; Architectural/Design Firms: George Robb Architects, Straticom Planning Associates; Craftspersons/Contractors:  Blackwell Engineering; Artistic Skylight Domes Ltd.; Roof Tile Management Inc.; Townley Masonry

The Thornton-Smith Building is a three-storey commercial building designed by John Lyle in 1922.  This project created the Aperture Room, an event venue on the third floor that retains many of the heritage elements of the building, including the interior brick and an original skylight.

Artscape Youngplace, 180 Shaw Street


Commissioned by: Toronto Artscape Inc.; Architectural/Design Firms: Teeple Architects Inc.; Goldsmith Borgal & Company Ltd.; Craftsperson/Contractor: Clifford Restoration Ltd.; CPE Structural Consultants Ltd.


The 1914 Givins-Shaw Street Public School was transformed into a community arts and culture facility, with studios and exhibition space.  Conservation work included restoration and stabilization of the deteriorated sandstone cornices and window sills, installation of replica windows, stabilization of structural steel columns, and preservation of interior features such as the grand central staircase.

CNR Office Building, 398 Front Street East


Commissioned by: Dundee Kilmer Developments LP; Architectural/Design Firms: architectsAlliance; ERA Architects Inc.; Craftspersons/Contractors: EllisDon Ledcor PAAV Inc.; Trow Associates

The former CNR office, built in 1923, is one of two original buildings which will serve as the gateway to the new Canary District being developed in the industrial West Don Lands. The exterior of the CN office was restored and the interior has been transformed into an open, two-storey gallery, restaurant/event space, a component of a larger, modern complex.

HNR Building, Bronze Entranceway, 21 Dundas Square


Commissioned by: HNR Properties Ltd.; Architectural/Design Firm: ERA Architects Inc.; Craftspersons/Contractors: Clifford Restoration Ltd.; Heather and Little Ltd.; Stanley Doors


Part of the rehabilitation of the Hermant Building, this project recreated the bronze doors and entranceway that had been installed around 1935, and then replaced and lost in a later renovation of the building.


HNR Bronze Entryway, TorontoThe entrance before the restoration, image courtesy of Heritage Toronto

HNR Bronze Entryway, TorontoAfter the restoration, image courtesy of Heritage Toronto

Jean Tweed Centre, Cumberland House, 3111 Lake Shore Boulevard West

Commissioned by: City of Toronto; Architectural/Design Firm: Thomas Brown Architects Inc.; Craftsperson/Contractor: Clifford Restoration


This project involved rehabilitation of the masonry, chimney and other exterior features of Cumberland House, a Queen Anne style residence built in the late 19th century for the first superintendent of the Lakeshore Asylum in Mimico.


Landing Stage, Ward’s Island


Commissioned by: City of Toronto; Architectural/Design Firm: Steven Burgess Architects; Craftsperson/Contractor: Clifford Restoration Ltd.


The Landing Stage, erected in the early 1900s, was originally located at the Eastern Gap on Ward’s Island, as a shelter for passengers awaiting cruise boats.  By the 1970s it had deteriorated so badly that it was taken down.  When the Ward’s Island community decided to create a public square in partnership with Toronto Parks, Forestry and Recreation, the Landing Stage was recreated as a key component, using restored wrought iron pieces that had survived as well as replica pieces.

Little Trinity Church Annex, 403 King Street East


Commissioned by: Little Trinity Anglican Church; Architectural/Design Firms: DTAH Architects Ltd.; ERA Architects Inc.; Craftsperson/Contractor: Historic Restoration Inc.


This project redeveloped a row of derelict Georgian-style townhouses into a new administrative and meeting space for the church community. The mid-19th-century façades on King Street were restored, while the back of the heritage property was replaced with a new two-storey volume that maintained the original roof-line and east gable form of the building, while allowing a contemporary addition to emerge from the rear.

Little Trinity Annex, Toronto, DTAH Architects, ERA ArchitectsA ‘Before’ shot of the Little Trinity Annex, image courtesy of Heritage Toronto

Little Trinity Annex, Toronto, DTAH Architects, ERA ArchitectsThe ‘After’ shot of the Little Trinity Annex, image courtesy of Heritage Toronto

The Munk School of Global Affairs, 315 Bloor Street West


Commissioned by: University of Toronto; Architectural/Design Firms: KPMB Architects; ERA Architects Inc.; Craftspersons/Contractors: Crossey Engineering; Blackwell Bowick Partnership Ltd.


This project undertook an adaptive reuse of the 1909 Dominion Meteorological Building, and the adjacent Transit House to create expanded facilities for the Munk School. Conservation work included restoration of interior and exterior masonry, repair of the original windows and restoration of an existing heritage staircase.


Private Residence, 49 Weybourne Crescent


Commissioned by: Christina and Cam Mingay; Architectural/Design Firm: Murakami Design; Craftsperson: The Arceo Group Inc.

The owners of this 1922 Arts and Crafts residence undertook considerable renovations to restore the fabric of this house.  Work included the addition of a front porch and a single-storey rear extension, as well as the retention or upgrading of materials and surfaces.

Private Residence, 10 McKenzie Avenue


Commissioned by: Lynn Bilodeau and Jacques Bernie; Architectural/Design Firm: gh3; Craftsperson: Wilson Contract Management; Pierre Morin Fenêtres MQ

This project aimed to modernize and enhance the function of the interior of a 1908 Rosedale residence, while preserving the character of the exterior and the streetscape.   Conservation work included the restoration of leaded glass windows, wooden window sills and architraves, and the refurbishment of the window hardware.

Private Residence, 17 Berryman Street


Commissioned by: DC Development Ltd.; Architectural/Design Firms: Climan Green Liang Architects Inc.; Joan Burt Architect


This detached two-storey Victorian house is located in the Yorkville-Hazelton Heritage Conservation District.  While the front façade of the house was restored, the interior was modernized, with a rear, three-storey addition set back to maintain the perception of the original scale from the street.

St. Augustine’s Seminary of Toronto, 2661 Kingston Road


Commissioned by:  the Roman Catholic Episcopal Corporation for the Diocese of Toronto; Architectural/Design Firms: Bogdan Newman Caranci Inc.; Philip Goldsmith Architect; Craftspersons/Contractors: Roof Tile Management Inc.; Read Jones Christoffersen Ltd.


St. Augustine’s Seminary was built around 1913 in the Beaux-Arts style, using materials and techniques that were new to architecture at the time. The project involved replacing some of the original materials, such as cast stone decorative pieces, that had not stood the test of time, as well as work on the Seminary’s main entrance, and installing new metalwork on the dome.   

Toronto Bell Cote – Sukyo Mahikari Centre for Spiritual Development, 691 Scarlett Road


Commissioned by: Sukyo Mahikari Canada; Architectural/Design Firms: Takashi Tsuji Architect; William N. Greer; Craftspersons/Contractors:  Heritage Mills Historic Building Conservation Inc.; Sonterlan Corp.; EGD Glass Studio


Thought to be the only wood-framed church in Toronto, this 1895 building was restored and repurposed for the Sukyo Mahikari Centre for Spiritual Development. The project included a new foundation and basement, steel framing, and wood restoration throughout.

Trinity-St. Paul’s United Church, Sanctuary, 427 Bloor Street West


Commissioned by: Tafelmusik Baroque Orchestra and Chamber Choir; Trinity-St. Paul’s United Church; Architectural/Design Firm: ERA Architects Inc.; Craftsperson/Contractor: Clifford Restoration Ltd.; S.W.S. Engineering Inc.; Anne Minor Performance Consultants; Sound Space Design

The Trinity-St. Paul’s building was erected in 1889 and has undergone several renovations over the years.  This latest project included significant upgrades to accessibility, stage size, and acoustics in the Sanctuary, part of a multi-phase project to better support multiple uses of the building by the congregation and the larger community.  

Sanctuary-Trinity St. Paul's United Church, TorontoA ‘Before’ look at the Sanctuary, image courtesy of Heritage Toronto

Sanctuary-Trinity St. Paul's United Church, TorontoAfter the renovation, image courtesy of Heritage Toronto



In addition to these nomination, four other categories of awards will be given out at the 41st Heritage Toronto Awards ceremony on October 13th. Nominees in these categories—Book, Short Publication, Media, and Community Heritage—will be profiled shortly.

More information is available on Heritage Toronto’s website here.